Skip to main content

Why I Chose The iPhone 8 Plus Over The iPhone X

Let's be honest when you think of the newest and best iPhone, you think of the iPhone X, this is fair, I mean its the most expensive and that screen is just stunning. But is it really as good as it has been hyped up to be, and more importantly how good/bad is the price to performance ratio?

So for the first time this year I got the iPhone on release day, the reason for this being that last year I got my iPhone 7 on the iPhone upgrade program from Apple, which meant I had the choice of three iPhone's this year which were all more expensive than the iPhone 7, something which I was really annoyed about. I mean an upgrade program which goes up every year - whats the point? And I can guarantee that if it goes up this year then I will be moving to something like the EE upgrade style program which would also give me the opportunity of Android, something which I'm pretty sure I will not be doing anytime soon.

Anyway, back to the actual thing this blog post is about, the iPhone 8 Plus, my iPhone of choice for this year, the phone which I purposely picked over the more expensive but better looking iPhone X. You may be thinking to yourself, thats pretty self explanatory though, you picked the cheaper iPhone. Well actually no, not exactly. I was looking around the predicted prices of the iPhone X on a regular contract (not on the Apple upgrade program), and Virgin Mobile stuck out from the rest - offering the iPhone X for not much more than I was paying for the 8 Plus. So, why didn't you take up on the offer you blithering idiot, your asking yourself. Well for a few reasons, of which I would like to go through with you.

Firstly though, why not stick with the 7 or simply upgrade to the 8. 
Well the answer to this is extremely simple, my iPhone 7 already had a new owner (coincidently, my brother) so I was looking at getting a new device anyway. So why not get the regular 8 and why am I paying more now for the 8 Plus? I have never had the plus model of the iPhone before and really wanted to experiment how I could live with it. So I decided to get the plus model as a kind of experiment really, knowing that there would be a few minor things that were guaranteed to annoy me - however I believed that the pros far outweighed the cons. The biggest thing being the camera.

You said about the iPhone X being similarly priced, are you a blithering idiot?
No. At least I do not believe that I made the wrong decision. The Virgin Mobile contract, strictly, was not exactly the same as my existing contact and the upgrade program, it was in fact a three year contact - I believe this is a far too long too keep a phone as I don't really like waiting the whole length  of a 24 month contract, one of the main reasons I like to do contracts such as the iPhone upgrade program. So I suppose in the long run I would have intact ended up paying significantly more than the 8 Plus - this did not really effect my decision, however.

The iPhone X's only real advantage is the screen to body ratio, something that frankly I wasn't actually too bothered about. I mean it would have been nice but not essential. So, I'm not bothered about the screen to body ratio so what actual advantage does the iPhone X offer to me over say the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus? So, I wanted the better camera which only featured on the X and 8 Plus so it falls down too those two. But, as I said earlier I wanted to try the larger iPhone and even with the edge to edge display the screen on the iPhone 8 Plus is larger. So thats it, thats why I chose the 8 Plus.

To conclude this blogpost, I brought the iPhone 8 Plus over the iPhone X because I didn't see there were enough advantages to justify the £999 price tag over the much less £799 for the iPhone 8 Plus.

If you enjoyed this blogpost please don't forget to check back everyday for a new blogpost, some days you may even get two!

Jack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is It Time To Ditch Chrome?

So recently I have been using my PC more (unusual for me as I'm a mac person myself, but I decided to give it a go as I had it on my desk) and discovered the sheer amount of resources that Chrome uses up and hogs all too itself. The question which I began to ask too myself was, Why is chrome using all of these resources? And is there an alternative which I could use which would be less intensive yet still provide a useable and pleasant interface and experience. There aren't exactly a huge amount of choices when it comes to browser on Windows (FYI: On mac I use Safari mainly, it does everything I want fast and I can't find too many faults.); I mean what are the options? You've got Edge - just LOL, Firefox - Meh, Chrome - resource intensive and then the final one that I found. Opera. And so far, it ticks all of the boxes. It must be a pain to convert to a new browser after using the same one for years? Nope, In fact its surprisingly easy. Included in the download f...

Henry now comes cordless!

So today I was simply watching a few technology vlog-style videos on YouTube and the person I was watching (who's name I won't mention) was in Curry's / PC World and this person was basically looking at everything in there - I don't know why but oh well. At first I actually had my iPad sat next to me on the sofa and I was playing Forza Horizon 3, so not paying much attention, but when I did look over I saw them looking through the household section; specifically vacuum cleaners. This person was looking at the different Henry vacuum cleaners and suddenly I noticed something, one of them looked rather different too the rest, it had a battery compartment and a charger right next to it! And much to my surprise, Henry now comes with a cordless variant! I eagerly wanted to know more about this, it wasn't something that I saw Numatic doing soon to the Henry, I have never really had a problem using a Henry with the cord; others I believe have had issues with the cord...

Sky Q - Why you need it in your life.

Having moved from Virgin Media nearly 18 months ago now, I have had a fair amount of time to make my decision about Sky's brand new TV service - Sky Q. I must admit, our 18 months with the service has not been without fault, but overall I do believe that the money we have spent with Sky has been better spent than with Virgin Media's TiVo service. Why did I move provider in the first place? We were with Virgin Media before moving across to Sky Q, and we were beginning to get very unhappy with the service, the TiVo box was sluggishly slow, the internet not much better. We were left dumped with the first superhub and the first version of the TiVo box. Having had these for a few years they were slow and needed replacing, and we had asked Virgin to replace these many times but they were refusing - claiming that it still worked and therefore why should they send us out the newer services. They eventually agreed that we were in fact eligible to have the newer boxes; but at our e...